Saturday, June 7, 2014

Summer salads

I've declared this the summer of whole grain salads for both health and ease. A way to not join in with as much of the PB&J that is constantly flying around here and to help make a more adult lunch readily available.

One of the best things I've discovered is that Trader Joe's sells several whole grains (barley, farro, bulgar) in small bags that are perfectly sized for these salads. Or, visit Whole a Foods and buy in bulk for higher quality and selection and a lower price... Can't wait until our new Whole Foods goes in down the street!

In short: combine cooked grains with a leafy green that can stand up for a few days (kale, chard, spinach), add herbs, a crumbly cheese, a light dressing, maybe a little dried fruit and some nuts... Voila! I err in the side of lots of greens and a smaller amount of grains than the recipes usually list and also try to cut down on the sugar included in many of the dressing recipes.

Last week I started with a Kale and Wild Rice Salad. I made several modifications and it was delicious.

Today I needed to use up another bunch of kale and found this recipe for a Farro and Kale Salad that also uses mint and feta. The planter of mint in our backyard is going strong, so more mojitos and this salad are on the menu for the weekend. Maybe I can make peppermint ice cream with the big kids next weekend...