Saturday, June 14, 2014

Summer of Salads :: Mid June

I've continued my summer of salads challenge and we are continuing to enjoy each new recipe.

Over the last week we had a Summer Barley Salad from Cooking Light's website. Barley has the most deliciously chewy texture, almost like an al dente pasta! The sweetness of corn and substantive addition of edamame made for a delicious salad.

This afternoon I made a classic Tabbouleh salad. This is one of my favorites because of how little it requires from outside the garden, especially as the summer progresses. By the time it's high-August, I can make tabbouleh almost entirely from the vegetable beds (tomatoes, cukes, mint, parsley). Someday, when I live in a more, Mediterranean climate (you know - when Mike and I finally buy that dilapidated Tuscan villa and rehab it Eat, Pray, Love-style), I'll also be able to pluck a lemon from my backyard orchard. Hell, I'll be cold-pressing my own olive oil, too.

Today reminded me of all the wonderful things that June brings before the summer swelter sets in...
Beach trips, swimming classes, perfect-strawberry-selecting at the farmer's market and visiting with our favorite vendors while deliberating final additions to the garden, a picnic outside for lunch (wherein we decimated a full quart of the aforementioned strawberries), gardening and watering and pruning back the faded glory of the peony bushes...

Happy June Weekend.