Sunday, March 31, 2013

Spring Weekending

Is there anything better than the first few days of spring weather?

Nope! Nothing.

This weekend we each played outside in our most favorite ways - a neighborhood soccer pick up game, biking to and from the park, swinging at the playground, jogging by the lake, pruning the trees and shrubs, carting yard cuttings around in the wagon, spotting birds and earthworms... it felt wonderful!

This morning I baked my annual Easter morning Gluten-Sugar-Overload (aka. Cinnamon Rolls). They were as good as I remember them being last year. They're kind of like pumpkin pie for us. We make and eat them once per year and they're never the same twice since I'm never able to stick to a single recipe. This year I used this recipe for the dough (I replaced some of the milk with buttermilk to try and deepen the flavors. Truly amazing how resilient and determined it was to continually proof despite frequent punching and overnight refrigeration!), and this recipe's filling and icing directions. A delicious amalgamation of ingredients, if I do say so myself.

The kids egg hunted and we were reminded how easily delighted they are at these sweet ages. Their lack of expectation surrounding holidays is so refreshing. It makes it very easy to enjoy whatever we pull together for them. Colin was happy to open and shut the little eggs regardless of what was inside, and Christopher (though certainly thrilled with little chocolate eggs at 8:30AM!) was equally giddy with each new sticker that fell out of his egg haul.

I trust that you enjoyed a wonderful weekend, as well! And I hope that spring has sprung wherever you are... it feels like the season of endless possibility...