Thursday, March 21, 2013

Equinox?

I hear that the Spring Equinox was yesterday. Hmm. When I woke up this morning, the temperature outside was flirting with double digits, but hadn't yet gotten there quite yet. So, I scrapped the idea of an early run. I consider myself pretty hardy, but a morning jog in 8 degrees is not refreshing. It's punishment. I opted for more sleep. Smart, no?!

There are plans for egg hunts and new craft projects. Garden sketches and new perennials for the front yard. Apple tree and forsythia pruning (more like shearing for the latter). And as my eyes glanced past the bottle of bug repellent in the back of the closet this morning, I actually thought for a split second, "Won't it be nice to have to use that again?" Come again? Apparently, winter has felt so long that I'm actually yearning for mosquito bites. That's just wrong.

Let's ignore the first part of the long term forecast that predicts snowfall for this weekend and instead focus on the possibility that we will, at long last, perhaps and perchance... move into the 40 degree range late next week. Don't come looking for us in the house! We'll be running at the gardens, biking by the lake, whizzing down the slide at the park and quite possibly barbequing in our flip-flops.


Thank goodness for greenhouses and conservatories. This was taken at the Lincoln Park Conservatory last weekend. We had just visited the zoo with Grandpa and Grandma in frigid temps and flurries. Sheesh.