Friday, January 21, 2011

This week's dinner table. Part Two.

Perhaps this was not the best week to write about dinners since Mike and I will have shared ONE dinner together in the span of Sunday to Sunday... but we both ate, nevertheless.

When I last wrote, we were having White Bean and Chard Soup with Brown Bread. It was good. And that bread made some delicious toast. Especially with homemade blackberry jam. Just ask Christopher!

Wednesday night there were eggs on the dinner table. I have a new scrambling technique thanks to a tip from a friend. Don't laugh - we've all had nasty, dry, brown scrambled eggs before, right? There is a way to make them to absolute perfection. And I intend to try them as indicated on the linked website: piled on top of thick toast smeared with goat cheese. I added a little crumbled queso fresco and a side of greens with broccoli and sunflower seeds.

Thursday night brought leftover soup back to the table with the end of the brown bread (I'll be making that again very soon!) with green salad. It was Thursday. It's all I could muster.

Today is Friday and it's effing cold out there. When we woke up this morning the radio reported a temp of -4... but with the windchill? Oh yeah... it *felt* like -22 out there. The RealFeel vs. ActualTemp thing always amazes me. Why bother with "Actual"??? CRAZY! It didn't change our normal routine, but the furnace sure is getting a workout. The oven has been adding warmth and good smells by baking a few loaves of sandwich bread.

Later tonight for dinner: Broccoli and Cremini Mushroom Casserole (not quite the casserole mama used to make - this is out of The New Moosewood Cookbook), Mashed Potatoes (comfort for the low temps) and Green Salad. We do love salad.

Next week I intend to bring in a little soy protein via a killer tofu lasagna that I've been promised. I'll let you know how it turns out.