Monday, January 17, 2011

Food for a new year

One of my New Year's resolutions (I say that with every grain of salt possible) is to try to cook some new things around here. This week, I'm going to write about dinners.

I've also been doing a little meal planning. It makes the grocery shopping more focused, keeps the bottom line down, and helps prevent the 5:30pm glazed-over look on my face as I stare into the refrigerator waiting for dinnertime inspiration to jump out at me.

Hey! Cook me!

It never seems to happen.

Last night: Frittata with swiss chard and goat cheese, green salad with chopped almonds and a sliced, roasted, red beet. The swiss chard was tender without being soggy, and the goat cheese - well, I've never met bad goat cheese. It was damn good.

Tonight: White bean soup with more swiss chard ('tis the season and it's sooo good for you!), Irish Mum's Brown Bread from 101Cookbooks.com, and roasted carrots and broccoli.

This afternoon: well, SOMEONE ate all of the maple pecan granola from TJ's, so I'm left with nothing to do but make some of my own. The smell reminds me of our second apartment in Copenhagen because that's where I first started making my own granola. And the weather outside matches, too. Oh, bittersweet nostalgia.