Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Traveling without a passport...

I traveled to Northwestern this week in order to call dibs on some equipment that was being left behind by a previous professor. As I got to the airport, I could not help but feel a little strange to not have my passport. After our time in Europe, it just feels weird to only have to travel with your driver’s license.

The whirlwind two day trip was a HUGE success. I was able to get the equipment that I wanted, and finally got to see Evanston (the suburb just north of Chicago where Northwestern is located) in a time other than winter. Previously, I have only been there in January, February, and the very end of March, Everything was amazingly green. We were told that the city was very proud of its trees (kind of like Pleasantville, aka Burlingame) and I was definitely not disappointed.

I also got the chance to go sailing. The Department chair (who is an avid sailor), took another new faculty member (Josh) and I out sailing for two hours on Lake Michigan. The conditions were perfect. Looking back at the Bahai temple, Northwestern, and downtown Chicago was a treat. We enjoyed a gorgeous sunset and calm waters. I even got to take the helm of the “Flying Scot” for about 30 minutes.

I am looking forward to visiting with Megan this fall.