Thursday, August 23, 2012

Late summer itch/ramble.

It's almost back-to-school time. The shift from late to summer to early fall is everywhere. The mornings are chillier, making for perfect running weather and the kids wear sweatshirts with blankets tucked in around their legs when we take them out in the jogger. The tomato plants are brimming with green tomatoes (which will hopefully turn bright red after the next three days of heat!). The kids are growing out and wearing out their summer clothes and shoes just in time for new footwear that will keep piggy toes warm and tops and bottoms that will protect arms and legs from ginormous piles of fallen leaves. I've started to have fleeting thoughts of squash soup and applesauce.

And I have the purge itch.

A general notice to all items within the house:
Watch out if you aren't nailed down. If you don't prove yourself to have both form and function, you may find yourself listed on Freecycle or sitting on my front porch waiting for the donation truck to sweep you away.

Favorite things to purge: toys, clothes, superfluous kitchen items, things in storage which aren't ever taken OUT of storage, more toys, and more clothes. This fall, I also need to Freecycle a bag or two of fabric and perhaps some yarn. You know, get real about what projects I actually want/need to do.

I find that my kitchen inspiration changes greatly towards the end of the summer, as well. I find that if I listen to my palate's whims, it pushes me to follow the season's directions. So, I pulled Patricia Wells's At Home in Provence* off the shelf earlier today and earmarked the Crustless Onion Quiche and the Tomato Clafoutis. I'd also like to make a huge Vegetable Tian in the next few weeks and a Tomato Tart (I need a goat for a constant supply of goat cheese, please). The thyme in the garden is going bonkers, so that should add a nice touch to all of the above.

Ooh. And maybe some gazpacho. And some popsicles. And and and...

We have a wide-open, unplanned weekend coming up and I'm pretty excited about it. The weather will be warm and the beach will be calling. The garden will be waiting for us, too. Time to enjoy the last few weeks of summer. Ahhh.

*Normally, I'd question a book on Provencal cooking that is written by an American. However, this was gifted to me by a friend who lives in Aix-en-Provence and she swears it's one of the best resources in her cookbook library. Several years ago, Mike and I were treated to the most delicious stay at her family's beautiful home in Provence. The only specific plans that Nathalie made for the week was what we'd have for dinner every night. On the first evening we arrived, she had made the simplest, most elegant quiche I have ever eaten. It was gorgeous and so yummy. In honor of that wonderful memory (friends and food, conversation and catching up, warm summer air and a cheese course to blow your mind to finish it off...!), tonight we're having quiche with tomatoes from the garden - all shapes, sizes and colors - and I'll throw in some chard and kale because god knows we have plenty of that.