Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Check ups and Dinovember

First off - I'm sure many of you have seen this, but I still had to share:
DINOVEMBER
So. Awesome.

Also, I've been getting a lot of medical attention around here recently, and not because Baby #3 is due in March (apologies to anyone who's just now hearing the news in such an unpersonalized way... ah, blogs).

The Fisher Price doctor kit is experiencing a high level of interest these days and, my goodness, I have such thorough care providers! They prod a little sharply sometimes and use very odd instruments depending on the "test", but they do have excellent bedside manners and the exam table - our living room couch - is comfy enough to fall asleep on during the appointment. (Actually, that's what happened yesterday afternoon.)

- My eyes and ears and nose get a very close look, sometimes with an otoscope and at other times with a magnifying glass designed to get a good look at bugs.
- The stethoscope listens to my heart and also listens to my belly for the baby (aww).
- I get shots (of what, I'm not sure) in my legs, arms and belly.
- My blood pressure is checked several times - on my forearm - and is usually pretty close to accurate with a diastolic reading of "it's 78, Mama." Today at my midwife appointment, I was 104/68. Pretty close!
- Temperature is taken, a small firetruck might be lightly rolled over the forehead for good measure (surprisingly relaxing), and sometimes a child-sized power drill is used on my knuckles.
- To round out the check up, there's the Play Test in which I am asked to toss a small football back and forth to see how well I'm Playing. Happily, I've passed that one every time.