Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Worldly palate

As we came rushing in from our morning outing, I plopped Christopher in his highchair and gave him a few cubes of cheese and a handful of Cheerios to keep his hunger sated while I could pull together something more well-rounded.

I tried offering perfectly-ripe organic nectarines (delicious), freshly cut cantaloupe (also out of this world), and some banana. The whole time he was eying my plate of leftovers.

Well, duh. What comes off of Mama and Daddy's plate is *always* better than what he's been offered (disclosure: 9 times of out 10, we're eating the exact same thing, though slightly less mangled since we have full sets of teeth).

Okay, so last night was the final evening of our Staycation* and we ordered Thai food. Truly decadent by our standards. In fact - why didn't we do this for the whole "Staycation"? Seriously - why was I cooking dinner and lunch and breakfast??? Mom - I now understand. It's not vacation when you're still cooking and cleaning up after dinner...

So I gave him some of my Pad Thai and he proceeded to gobble it up and beg off more from my plate until we had just about shared what was left.

Next time I'm going to pretend to have PB&J and wait until he's asleep so that I don't have to share. Hmph.

*By definition: what 30-somethings do when they've just bought a house and have young children, thereby leaving them without the discretionary funds they once possessed for indulgent trips to explore other continents.