Thursday, January 31, 2008

Weekend warmth


from Megan

I love a chill in the air that nibbles at the fingertips and reddens the nose. It makes me appreciate the warm slippers and hot cup of tea waiting within the warmth of home. In winter, more than any other season, I am perfectly content to stay in on weekends and read, craft and cook. (Or perhaps it's in my genes... and I'm just my mother's daughter through and through?!)

Reading. I read Eat, Pray, Love and Steinbeck's Cannery Row on a reading binge in Maine over the holidays. Last weekend, I read A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. I'm now reading Bryson's I'm a Stranger Here Myself which I find amusing to the point of laughing out loud! The book is a collection of essays Bryson wrote as he was re-entering life in the USA after 20 years in London.

Crafting. Well, I'd like to personally thank all of our friends and family for the steady turnout of such gorgeous babies! My most recent baby-inspired creation was a quilt for a college friend's little girl, Amelia.

Cooking... well! Roasted chicken for Sunday dinner followed later in the week by rich, steamy chicken soup (we like to get our $$$'s worth out of poultry), blackberry muffins with orange rind with sweet clementines on the side, eggplant parmigiana, cream of broccoli soup, sweet potatoes, Boboli pizzas with sun-dried tomatoes and fontina-spinach-chicken sausage...

We try to cap it off with a full serving of gym-time. :)